When I was ten or so, I decided to memorize the lyrics for the Twelve Days of Christmas carol. I wanted to know every single gift that “my true love gave to me.” Never mind that the true love was rather bad at selecting presents. (He gets points for creativity, though.) How many pipers were there…? Or was that fiddlers…? I did eventually figure it out, although I had to look up the lyrics again tonight to check…
Never mind how many pipers were piping; we’re officially into the Twelve Days of Christmas!
In honor of that, I’ve made a short list of Twelve Christmas Journal Prompts, very loosely inspired by the true love’s unique presents.
Spread them out over a dozen days, or do a few at once. (Or, if you’re like me, wait until the end of twelve days, then do them at once.) Make up some of your own, too, if you like, and share them in the comments!
12. Which twelve Christmas songs are at the top of your playlist?
11. List eleven people you are thankful for. Say a prayer for them and send some kind words before Christmas!
10. Think of ten ways you can make someone’s heart leap for joy.
9. What are nine things that make your heart dance?
8. What eight chores or tasks are on your to-do list this week? Is milking one of them?
7. List seven ways you can unwind and find stillness this season.
6. Write about six of your fondest seasonal activities.
5. Make a list of five things that glitter with cheer.
4. Who are four people you need, or want, to call?
3. Which three countries would you most like to visit? What would you do there?
2. Write about two peaceful Christmas memories.
1. What is your one Christmas wish or prayer?
Merry Christmas, even if you aren’t given a partridge in a pear tree!